Thursday, September 2, 2010

Time To Circle The Wagons!

I can hardly believe it, the first 5 days of school are behind us. We have had triumphs, meltdowns and happy dances galore! My kids have shown me a side of them that I knew just had to be hiding there all along. They really enjoy learning. They really, really do!




I'm Patti (Super Hero In Training), just a Mom with a mission to help my children to become more successful. I'm sure most if not all of you have similar stories. However, mine is special to me, well.... because its about my very own family. Our journey to Cyber School has been extremely fast and furious. Wait, let me back up...re-write that to say Slow and furious. Yep, thats more like it. Slow and Furious.



Over the last 12 years, we have had children in the public school setting. Every day, the alarm would ring (then get the poo knocked out of it! LOL!), our family would rise and start the day.



"Kids! It's time to get up!" I would yell from the bottom of the stairs.

"Do we have toooooo?" extremely sleepy, whiney voices would all chime, almost simultaneously.

"Be downstairs in 15 for breakfast...Shoes, Hair, Teeth, CLEAN SOCKS!", I would remind.



Then, it was, "wheres your homework?", "did you study?", "why do you have detention?", "You want me to sign this for what?".



If you've ever been a Public School parent, you know the routine.



Fifteen minutes later, kisses, hugs and "don't forget your back pack!" and they are out the door. Into the arms of another...



Half an hour later, its your turn to leave. Work for you and your honey.



Eight hours later, (if you're lucky) you stroll back in the door, rush to make dinner, kiss the kids, "Wheres your homework?" "Who pulled your hair?" "What did the teacher say?", "We don't believe that way", "No, you need to remember who your Mommy is", "Why do we have an F in math?", "She wouldn't let you read your favorite story?", "Did you do your chores?", "No time to play today, too much homework and you are failing"....and the list goes on.



This year, we decided, Enough is Enough!



We pulled the plug on my career and brought everyone home. (Except for my Honey, he still works an 1 1/2 hours away!)



It is 'Time to circle the wagons' you could say. In my very first blog, I wrote about, To Cyber School or Not To Cyber School. It gives more detail about why we are here now.



What was your 'Moment'? Was there any one thing that started you on your journey or was a whole bunch of little things?



Are you a long time veteran of schooling at home?



Are you brand new like me?



I want to hear from you. I want to learn from you.



"Help...I'm New!" (voice of Joe Dirt)

3 comments:

  1. I do plan on repsomding to you questions, however it will not be tongiht. I was so discouraged I actually found your number on fb and considered calling but didn't want to frighten you. Things are ok here. My 6th grader is already failing math...*sigh* she was having trouble last year and passed with a D-. That was her current grade as of Fri. evening. She is in the "Pace" math program, but regular math is hammering her hard. She also has readning fluecy issues so helping her is much more or just about as much as helping the other 2. we have 1 distraction right now and that is out Monarch catterpillars-not even sure if I spelled that right (i'd tired)we have 7 we started this on Sunday afternoon and have watched one eat, spin a little white tip and woke up to a beautiful gree chrysalis this morning!!! We have another one that my kids tried to bet me a quarter it would be changed by the a.m. I already know it will be. I ahve learned alot about the lifestyle of a moanarch in just a few days. The kids will share their "own" finding's with the pic's I took on a powerpoint presentation for extra credit in science. Ok so I have rambled on enoguh. I have an early start tomorrow and need to do some web-mailing in regars to my dd. Pray for us (her) she is struggling pretty bad.

    HUGS from PA

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my i mispelled so many things...

    ReplyDelete
  3. We went through the same thing. We put 5 older children through public school, our oldest (28 yrs old now) was so frustrated (suffers from ADHD and gifted) with school he dropped out JAN of his Senior Year, the rest graduated.
    I was not going to allow the two youngest struggle any more, our 4th grade daughter has stress and heart issues because of school and the our 7th grade son misses social cues because of ADHD.
    This is our first year and we are so loving it. We are in control of how our children are learning.

    ReplyDelete